Felix is probably right.

Basically in this case rooting the phone involves changing the boot.img so that
it's debuggable.
If you make your own boot.img and are able to get into fastboot mode, that's
one way to make the device rooted.
Granted, there's a chance you could also mess up the device.

fyi, you can probably back up the boot.img via using dd, something like : adb
shell dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd0 of=/sdcard/boot.img bs=4096
(you'll have to look up which is the boot.img via looking at files like the
proc/partitions or proc/mounts )
Again this is something of a "use at your own risk, this isn't supported" train
of thought.

If you do decide to do something like this, I would also recommend doing a bit
of research and being prepared to accept the chance of bricking the phone and
needing to send it to the vendor… and the vendor may not necessarily fix it...

Regards,
Naoki