On 22-12-2011 01:19, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

PS. I hope that in 2012 I've redone all the code (consistency,
mkiv'd, namespaces, etc).

Can we now consider the following prefixes for registers as the
suggested method to name them:

\newcount: \c_…
\newdimen: \d_…
\newskip: \s_…
\newbox: \b_…
\newtoks: \t_…

I hope you don't converge to LaTeX3 syntax after all the rewrite is over :)

I have no clue what that syntax is anyway (apart from some obscure shortcuts I saw at a presentation ). There are no plans for such over the top command defining and parsing. I'd rather like to go simpler i.e. less esceptions.

The prefixes Wolfgang mentions are just an addition to the already used class_name scheme and it's less code that appending _box _count etc, so
it's just simple naming:

  \framed_width_dimen -> \d_framed_width

and

  \edef\p_framed_width{\framedparameter\c!width}

and such. Alternatively we can use

  \edef\framed_p_width

I can change the existing code easily. Of course no scheme is imposed on module writers.

(One reason for some system is that it permits parsing the files for official helpers: anything without _ is a potential user command of variable).

Hans