On 2/2/17 03:53, Richard Newman wrote:
>     > - The old email address never becomes available for registration again.
>
>     > That is, email -> FxA user never changes from one user to another.
>
>     We could certainly do this, but it's not clear to me what value it would
>     deliver or what it would guard against.
>

> My reasoning: devices (and potentially services) do, or must, sometimes
> use the email address as a unique identifier for a user.
>
> For example, the FxA on Android is named by email. A service like
> Bugzilla might similarly associate an external account with an FxA by email.

I'd prefer they didn't do this, but you're right, they often do...

> If a new arrival can take a vacated email address, there is a chance
> that they can take ownership of a service, or get consumers into a very
> confusing state. If there's no benefit to taking ownership of a vacated
> account, then I'd argue it's unnecessary risk.

A good example here is Pocket.  Pocket ties your FxA to any existing
Pocket account with the same email.  So you could get a scenario like:

* I sign up to Pocket using FxA with o...@example.com
* I change the address on my FxA to n...@example.com
* Someone else re-registers for FxA with o...@example.com
* They can now log into my pocket account

To be fair, if they now control o...@example.com, they could use a
traditional password reset flow to access that account on Pocket, and
probably also to take over a bunch of my old accounts around the web.

But I think I'm coming around to the suggestion that we disallow
re-registration of emails, at least for the initial version while we get
our heads around the broader ecosystem effects.

  Cheers,

   Ryan