On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> I was going to write a lengthy rant on how choosing FontForge as a base
> for LuaTeX font loader was its biggest mistakes and how font and text
> layout support in LuaTeX is years behind the rest of the world because
> of this, but then decided not to write it :) I’m unlikely to able to
> convince Hans with anything in this area.

But then again you could regard this as a new opportunity.

Given your skill set by now I can imagine you taking over a project of
adding HarfBuzz (or whatever library exactly you had in mind) support
to LuaTeX.

Years back (maybe in 2006 or 2007) we had discussions about whether
LuaTeX and XeTeX were destined to be merged once in the future.

Mojca