On 2015-05-20 15:41, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 5/20/2015 12:59 PM, Wybo Dekker wrote:

As for the modernization of log files you talked about off the record:
It would be really modern to not impose any maximum line length by set
setting max_line_length to, say, 1e9. And to do that for all engines,
not just luatex.

The other engines are more frozen than luatex; although we aim at tex
engine compatibility (and achieve extensibility via callbacks) this is
not true for the system dependent properties as i/o (and of course one
can just stick to using pdftex or use xetex as wide engine).

Of course; maybe even better, for stability and predictability, stick to LibreOffice or MS-Word. You don't even touch my question (which conffile(s)) and my arguments (unequal max lengths in one file, 80 is not 79). I now begin to understand the communication disorders between some TeX communities.

(Concerning parsing logs: as the cnf is under user control you cannot
assume that the log lines are the same always, as some users can set
them different; i always did. So log file parsers should be flexible in
this respect.)

--
Wybo