On 8/15/12 2:52 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:
Is there a tracking bug for areas where we could gain efficiency? We all
know the build phase is full of clownshoes. But, I believe we also do silly
things like execute some tests serially, only taking advantage of 1/N CPU
cores in the process. This is just wasting resources. See [1] for a concrete
example.

Don't we execute *all* tests serially?

Outside of splitting some suites into chunks and running on different builders, I'm pretty sure we do.

Many of our tests require
focus, so you can't do two runs in parallel on the same desktop.  In
theory we could specially flag the ones that don't need focus, and
make sure to always run them without focus -- that would probably be
most of the tests.  Then those could be run in parallel.  They could
also be run in the background on developer machines, which would be
nice.  This would require a bunch of developer work.

There are test suites like xpcshell and js reftests that AFAIK don't have special hardware constraints (like the visual tests do). They can at least be executed with full process + profile isolation. In some cases, we could probably re-use processes to avoid that overhead. I view each test suite as independent and I'm sure there are some low-hanging fruits in there.