On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:17 AM, qheaden <qhea...@phaseshiftsoftware.com> wrote:
> Is there any special reason why an existing build system such as SCcons
> couldn't be used as a new build system for Mozilla? I know the Mozilla source
> has a lot of special build instructions, but SCons does allow you to create
> your own special builders in Python code.

Build systems like SCons are just a different coat of paint over make.
They wouldn't really solve any of our problems, it'd just be
busy-work. In addition, SCons (among other build systems) tries to
solve more problems than we need, by providing the features of
autoconf as well as make. Finally, for SCons in particular, I have
doubts about its ability to scale to a project of Mozilla's size. KDE
tried to switch to SCons and failed, and wound up using CMake.

In short, most build systems suck at large scale. Almost any will
suffice for a small project, but for a project of Mozilla's size
there's no perfect solution.

-Ted