On 8/24/12 8:05 AM, John Hopkins wrote:
Suggestion: identify the ugliest sections of Makefile usage and use
those as a benchmark for evaluating different solutions.  ie. how could
it be implemented in SCons, pymake, etc.  or even, how could it be
reimplemented in Make in a clean fashion.

I've started [1] to compare things. I just plucked a random Makefile.in out of the source tree that seemed to have a nice mix of things. We may want to throw some more complexity in there just for completeness.

If someone familiar with some of the empty sections has time to fill those out, it would be appreciated (I'm too busy!).

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Gszorc/Build_frontend_shootout