On Tuesday 2012-08-28 12:52 -0400, Andrew Halberstadt wrote:
> == The Problem ==
>
> Reftests currently assume a window size of 800x1000. This is not
> possible on mobile devices, and using this resolution on tegras and
> pandas consumes too much memory and results in many timeouts and
> random-failures.
>
> Changing the resolution to something like 400x400 is very stable and
> only results in a handful of failures. The problem is it's difficult
> to figure out how many tests are false positives as a result of lost
> coverage.

I don't think it's that difficult; it does require a decent amount
of manual labor (looking at test images for each test, but very
quickly), but I don't think it's that huge.  (It probably requires a
half-second look at each test image; note that there are fewer
unique test images than there are tests.)

I also don't think we should go quite as small as 400x400 -- and we
want to come up with a common value with other browser vendors that
are also using reftest.  We don't want to be running our reftests at
a size smaller than the accepted max size for reftests at W3C.  If
you have feedback on what the size needs to be, I have contact info
for some of the other people we need to talk to.

> == Possible Solutions ==
>
> * Somehow figure out the exact pixel width/height required by each
> test and re-write the ones that are over the new target resolution

I think this is the right path forward.

> * Scroll the contentView and use multiple drawWindow calls to stitch
> the canvases together piece by piece

I think this is probably not compatible with what we do for
invalidation tests.

> * Disable the DRAW_WIDGET_LAYERS flag so content is rendered off
> screen (I'm under the impression this is not a valid solution)

Yeah, I think this would mean we'd move what we're testing further
from what we're actually shipping.

-David