On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:
> W3C is proposing a revised charter for the Web Fonts Working Group.
> For more details, see:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-new-work/2012Sep/0016.html
> http://www.w3.org/2012/06/WebFonts/draft-charter-ac.html
>
> Mozilla has the opportunity to send comments or objections through
> Monday, October 22.  Please reply to this thread if you think
> there's something we should say.

Even though there seem to be strong reasons for incompatible changes
to WOFF, it scares me that they are presented as an enhancement to
WOFF as opposed to being presented as a new incompatible format. To
me, it seems essential that the new format not be treated as a mere
enhancement to WOFF for the purpose of the format() specifier in CSS.
That is, the new format should not use format("woff") in CSS but
something else even if only format("woff2"). Maybe this is so obvious
that it isn't written in the charter because it is too obvious or
maybe this is a matter that's considered to be out of scope for the
charter, but, still, discussing an incompatible format as a mere
enhancement without affirming a plan to call it something different
for the purposes of the different format specifier scares me.

(Aside: In a way, it's rather sad how much engineering effort is put
into compressing TrueType hints, when the reason for sending TrueType
hints over the wire is that Microsoft's font rasterizer's are so
backwards that they still need hints even though the state of the art
works without human-specified hints. If all browsers on Windows
included the FreeType autohinter, hints could be stripped from fonts
instead of compressing the hints. But this is probably wishful
thinking considering that it would be unlikely for Microsoft to
include an autohinter in IE when they aren't including one
system-wide.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@iki.fi