On 2012-10-16 9:42 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
(Aside: In a way, it's rather sad how much engineering effort is put
into compressing TrueType hints, when the reason for sending TrueType
hints over the wire is that Microsoft's font rasterizer's are so
backwards that they still need hints even though the state of the art
works without human-specified hints. If all browsers on Windows
included the FreeType autohinter, hints could be stripped from fonts
instead of compressing the hints.

Until quite recently the FreeType autohinter did a very bad job on a surprising number of popular webfonts - rendering letters in the same word with inconsistent perceptual x-height, for instance.

("Quite recently" = "I would be surprised if the version we bundle has picked up the necessary changes already.")

zw