On Monday, November 28, 2011 9:04:58 AM UTC-5, myut...@gmail.com wrote:
> I've chipped in my thoughts on Jpeg-XR on the bugzilla entry for it. But I'll
> add some food for thought here anyways.
>

> Some other advantages, which influenced the flash player teams decision to
> include flash, are listed at this blog entry:
> http://blog.kaourantin.net/?p=116
>

> Most of these benefits listed are aimed at games and 3D applications. There
> is certainly an obvious advantage in games to an image format that will
> support lossy/lossless compression *and* alpha channel support. but other
> advantages in Jpeg XR include support for more pixel formats such as RGB565
> along with support for floating point pixel formats which would enable HDR
> scenarios in the future for WebGL. Jpeg-XR also supports a arbitrary range of
> colour channels which would allow for textures with alpha channels *and*
> bump/luminosity maps in the same file among other useful things.
>

> lastly the blog entry implies there is evidence that Jpeg-XR is better at
> preserving colour accuracy than Jpeg today. Though this seems to be mostly to
> do with specific encoders.
>

> I'd personally love to see Jpeg-XR adopted in Firefox, it seems like a format
> that would provide a lot of bang for your buck in regards to the cost of
> adding complexity to the browser codebase. The licencing issues don't seem
> insurmountable and i'd imagine with todays low adoption rate of Jpeg-XR
> Microsoft could perhaps have their arm bent to make the licencing even more
> liberal.

JPEG-XR has been standardized by ISO as ISO/IEC TR 29199-1:2011 and supports
many different embedded representations, lossless or not.
The first aspect is that if the audience is not color blind, most of jpg
implementations are 8bpc, so it is a desctructive format in the first place,
especially with all the hardware capable of 10bpc or above, from cameras to
monitors. Also it is likely that camera manufacturers abandon RAW format
progressively in favor of JPEG XR, rather than for instance embedding jpg image
in RAW picture mainly for preview, and then expecting the audience to convert
RAW to 16-bit TIFF, OpenEXR, LuvLogTIFF or JPEG XR to retain dynamic range and
color depth of the sensor, especially for Foveon-based cameras like the Sigma
SD1,DP1 & DP2 Merrill. The only issue for Google+ is that they would hurt
FLickr, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and a number of sites who are managed by
executives who are just there for the paycheck rather than figuring out what
ACES, RedColor3, QDEF, IGZO or LaserVue mean, as it was not a topic in their
neck of the woods.....