On 12/14/12 1:48 AM, Justin Lebar wrote:
FWIW, I once tried changing all of our atomic string refcounting to
non-atomic operations and could not eke out a performance (or
stability) difference on x64.  This was despite the fact that I was
able to generate profiles where the atomic string refcounting showed
up as taking a few percentage points.  I think bz reproduced this
somewhat surprising result more recently.

What I found was that changing the refcounting on nsStringBuffer to not be atomic didn't obviously help. Neither did inlining those addref/release calls (they're out-of-line right now). But doing both together _did_ help a good bit, for my microbenchmark. Also x64 for that test. And _very_ microbenchmarky...

-Boris