On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 16:03 +0000, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> After taking all input into account, I have decided that we should drop
> the "Tablet" token from Fennec's UA on tablets. This is what Android
> browser and Chrome do, and corresponds to option D) of my original
> options. So for non-"Mobile" devices, it would be:
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (Android; rv:12.0) Gecko/12.0 Firefox/12.0
>
> We should be aware that we _may_ in the future need to add "Touch" on
> Windows 8 Metro only, if developers start detecting it in large numbers
> and consequently sites start breaking. We should write up on MDN and
> publicise a document of best practices in detecting and using touch
> events cross-browser, to try and make that less likely.
>
> It's relevant to note that, according to recent ADI data, Tablet users
> make up about 25% of Fennec installs, for a total of about 388,000 ADIs,
> so perhaps a million users. (Thanks to Anurag Phadke on the Metrics team
> for getting the data for me here.)
>
> To elaborate on some points people may ask about:
>
> - We would therefore use "Mobile" on devices where we thought a mobile
> experience should be the default, and the desktop UA where we think a
> desktop experience should be the default. At the moment, opinion seems
> to be that phones are "Mobile" and tablets from 7" up are not, but we
> have the flexibility to change that view later.

How?  By switch more devices to the "Mobile" variant?

> - Given the short time this token has been in use, and the small number
> of Tablet Fennec users (relative to e.g. desktop), we don't expect
> significant compatibility problems. The speed we deploy this change is a
> trade-off between "minimising the number of browsers with the old UA"
> and "making sure we can detect any compatibility problems". So therefore
> the exact timing and train schedule of deployment of the change would be
> a matter for the release-drivers.

> - For the above reasons (short time, relatively small number of users),
> I am not too concerned that large numbers of web developers are going to
> have been detecting our "Tablet" string, or that this will lead to
> frustration at our "ever-changing" UA.

If I understand what you are proposing I think its reasonable given we
are switching to the "desktop" UA.  But I come from the camp that UA
changes should be for a deeply clear benefit, simply "it won't harm
much" is not an argument for change in a property where changing it
*never* again is the ideal.

Thanks,

-JP