On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 4:31 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>wrote:

> But note that unless a given code path is examined throughout the
> profiling phase of a PGO build, PGO will probably have negligible effect on
> it, if any.  The PGO compiler looks for hot code paths and tries to
> optimize those, so for example if the awesomebar doesn't get examined
> during the profiling (which it isn't), it is extremely unlikely that
> turning off PGO on the code responsible for it would have any noticeable
> change on performance.

I don't think this is a safe assumption. Our PGO builds not only do PGO but
also "Link Time Code Generation" which enables cross-module optimizations.
I have seen code being heavily optimized under PGO that I would not have
expected to be significant in our PGO profile.

It wouldn't be that hard to do an experiment to test the impact of PGO/LTCG
on code that's not in the profile.

Rob
--
Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the
Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority