On 2013-01-22 4:40 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 4:31 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com
<mailto:ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    But note that unless a given code path is examined throughout the
    profiling phase of a PGO build, PGO will probably have negligible
    effect on it, if any.  The PGO compiler looks for hot code paths and
    tries to optimize those, so for example if the awesomebar doesn't
    get examined during the profiling (which it isn't), it is extremely
    unlikely that turning off PGO on the code responsible for it would
    have any noticeable change on performance.

I don't think this is a safe assumption. Our PGO builds not only do PGO
but also "Link Time Code Generation" which enables cross-module
optimizations. I have seen code being heavily optimized under PGO that I
would not have expected to be significant in our PGO profile.

It wouldn't be that hard to do an experiment to test the impact of
PGO/LTCG on code that's not in the profile.

Yeah, that would probably be an interesting experiment.

Cheers,
Ehsan