On 2013-01-31 1:07 PM, Ted Mielczarek wrote:
 > After consideration, I think we ought to just bite the bullet and
disable PGO. We have no other way to fix this issue. All other work we
can do simply pushes it down the road. As our recent history has shown,
we simply don't have the ability to fix this in any long-term sense. If
Microsoft doesn't fix their toolchain, there's nothing we can do.

Related, I think we ought to seriously investigate funding work on
making clang a viable toolchain for building Firefox on Windows. Having
a non-open toolchain makes compiler bugs and limitations much more
painful, where this PGO issue is the extreme example.

I think funding PGO/LTCG improvements in clang and/or gcc is a great idea, but let's not forget that Windows is a legacy platform that's only tier-1 because it happens to have some absurdly large proportion of our users. We should be minimizing the amount of time and effort we put into it.

zw