Matt Woodrow a écrit :
to improve both performance and responsiveness of the browser, we are
planning on moving painting to happen on a separate thread.

I think you should take some time to consider what impact it has on the synchronization between interactive events and what is visible.
- Browser receive the order to draw Y above X
- I click on X that I'm still seeing
- Browser asynchronously actually draws Y

What does the browser consider I clicked on ? It may happen that the browser considers I clicked Y while I was seeing X.

Especially if the intend is to improve responsiveness, which means that I can click whilst the browser is painting, so it may be unclear what I intended to click on.