On 12 February 2013 21:57:53, Clint Talbert wrote:
I agree in part with the assertion about testing - that the existing
reftests will catch most regressions stemming from this. But I think
we also need some measurements around scrolling/responsiveness in
order to verify that off main thread painting is giving us the wins we
hope it will give us. Part of that is knowing where we are now, and
then seeing how that measurement will change once this work lands.

We can use Eideticker for doing some of this measurement (particularly
for "blackbox" end-to-end measurements, but it would be even better if
there were some way to instrument the paint pipeline so that we could
get measurements from inside Gecko itself. If we can instrument it, we
can run those tests per-checkin on all our products.  So I'd encourage
you to put a bit of thought into how you might do some light weight
instrumentation in this code so we can verify we make the gains we
hope to make here.

Clint

It's probably worth noting that this instrumentation already exists for Android, in the form of talos pan and checkerboard tests. It would be good to have something for other platforms if it doesn't already exist though.

--Chris