----- Original Message -----

This would is true for me, for mozilla-central and Moz2D. It's a lot less true
I believe for projects you work on sporadically. If I look at myself, some of
the other things I occasionally play with that I don't use in my day-to-day job
I work on them quite infrequently. Which means I frequently clear them out, or
have to pull long periods of updates, here the cost of a large repository
becomes a lot larger again.

> Additionally all -other- operations on a larger repository are a lot
> slower, things like top-level diffs, updates, etc. They take seconds
> or less on small repository, every step of your workflow is more
> efficient in a more isolated environment. Bisecting is only a small
> example of this, bisecting inside a small repository with a fast
> build/test is a process that's done very quickly and is very easy to
> justify timewise. Bisecting mozilla-central is a hard task that
> takes a lot of time.
>
> Mainly because you have to build all of mozilla-central. Standalone
> builds and tests of Moz2D would be great and we can do that without
> putting it in its own repository.

This is true, and it even already more or less works (although the Makefiles
aren't in the tree, the VS2010 files are, although the lack of automated
testing means I've not gone through the trouble of putting all the newer tests
to m-c) but it would be complicated to integrate this into our infrastructure,
in such a way that a try push to Moz2D code only runs the Moz2D compile and
Moz2D tests.

Bas