Mike Hommey wrote:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 07:51:18PM -0400, Justin Lebar wrote:
I think we should consider using much less JS in the parts of Gecko that are
used in B2G.  I'd like us to consider writing new modules in C++ where
possible, and I'd like us to consider rewriting existing modules in C++.

I'm only proposing a change for modules which are enabled for B2G.  For modules
which aren't enabled on B2G, I'm not proposing any change.

What I'd like to come out of this thread is a consensus one way or another as
to whether we continue along our current path of writing many features that are
enabled on B2G in JS, or whether we change course.

Since most of these features implemented in JS seem to be DOM features, I'm
particularly interested in the opinions of the DOM folks.  I'm also interested
in the opinions of JS folks, particularly those who know about the memory usage
of our new JITs.

In the remainder of this e-mail I'll first explain where our JS memory is
going.  Then I'll address two arguments that might be made against my proposal
to use more C++.  Finally, I'll conclude by suggesting a plan of action.

How about pre-compiling JS in JITed form? That would require the JIT
form to be relocatable if they isn't already, and wouldn't work well on
platforms where we use different instructions depending on the actual
target processor, but I guess that could work on our ARM targets. I
however don't know how much less memory that would take.

JS source is smaller than the compiled variety(atleast on x86), especially when compressed. It should be very hard to make JITed code smaller

Taras