On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Justin Lebar <justin.le...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > This is all great stuff, but as mentioned elsewhere, B2G branched at
> > version 18 and so they need improvements that that can land quickly on
> > the relevant branches.

I understand that (but should certainly have made it more clear).

Maybe I'm underestimating the amount of work required to rebuild enough
(whatever "enough" means, in this case) modules in C++, but isn't that a
somewhat major undertaking, too?

> Well, to be clear, it would be great if we could land some
> improvements for v1.1 (which is based off version 18), but we're
> locking the tree down pretty hard already, so I suspect that e.g. a
> wifi worker rewrite is off the table for that version.  Hopefully v1.1
> is the last b2g version that will be based off b2g18.
>
> v1.1 is also, I found out last week, targeting a 512mb device, so
> memory usage probably isn't as critical there as it will be in future
> releases which target 256mb devices.

We might (should, actually) be able to land the lazy-cloning and
re-lazification parts without the lazy bytecode. I'm not saying it's a tiny
project, but at least we have almost all of the required infrastructure in
place, already.

Mmh, but backporting it to 18 might be a lot harder.