(Sorry if this is not the right forum for this discussion.)

To increase our testing populations, I'd like to suggest that we add a periodic "channel upsell" message to the about:home page (of Aurora and Beta) and the about box (of Aurora, Beta, and possibly Release).

Beta and Aurora users have already opted in to a testing channel, so we know they are receptive to beta-quality software. If they have set Beta or Aurora as their default browser and/or have been using it consistently for a few weeks, we could try to upsell Beta users to Aurora and Aurora users to Nightly.

We did something similar with Firefox for Android. After a certain number of browser launches, we display a one-time message suggesting they write a Google Play store review if they like Firefox or contact Firefox Support if they have problems.

Similarly, users who check their browser's about box are clearly interested in version numbers or checking for the latest updates. These users might be receptive to a channel upsell message to get an even bigger version number. :)

chris p.