From: dev-planning-bounces+krudnitski=mozilla....@lists.mozilla.org
[mailto:dev-planning-bounces+krudnitski=mozilla....@lists.mozilla.org] On
Behalf Of Johnathan Nightingale
Sent: 29 April 2013 15:32
To: Chris Peterson
Cc: mozilla.dev.planning group; dev-platform@lists.mozilla.org
Subject: Re: Increasing our Aurora and Nightly user populations?

On Apr 29, 2013, at 3:07 PM, Chris Peterson wrote:

> (Sorry if this is not the right forum for this discussion.)

dev-planning feels right-er here - I suggest follow ups take it thattaway.

PS - original post, for dev-planning context:

> To increase our testing populations, I'd like to suggest that we add a
periodic "channel upsell" message to the about:home page (of Aurora and
Beta) and the about box (of Aurora, Beta, and possibly Release).

> Beta and Aurora users have already opted in to a testing channel, so we
know they are receptive to beta-quality software. If they have set Beta or
Aurora as their default browser and/or have been using it consistently for
a few weeks, we could try to upsell Beta users to Aurora and Aurora users
to Nightly.

> We did something similar with Firefox for Android. After a certain
number of browser launches, we display a one-time message suggesting they
write a Google Play store review if they like Firefox or contact Firefox
Support if they have problems.

> Similarly, users who check their browser's about box are clearly
interested in version numbers or checking for the latest updates. These
users might be receptive to a channel upsell message to get an even bigger
version number. :)

---
Johnathan Nightingale
VP Firefox Engineering