Hi Isaac,

What I meant by "matter of taste" is that while some people find advanced
presentation styles, such as the one you mention, useful, other people find
them to be just toys. I belong to the latter category, but have no hope of
convincing everyone else of my views, so I'd rather just call it a matter
of taste.

If you asked me about my views on these matters (I have taught mathematics
for a few years), I would tell you that math symbolic formalism is
overrated in the first place and is given an excessive role in math
teaching; I would say that math teaching should focus on conveying
underlying concepts, which in most areas of math are geometric in nature,
and that once the student has a grasp of how things work on a geometric
level, the formalism isn't anymore a major impediment to understanding; and
that therefore, focusing on cool presentation features to ease algebra
teaching is like treating only the symptoms of a poor approach to math
teaching. You mention Fourier transforms: that is a prime example of
something that has formulas that may seem intimidating to students until
they understand the basic idea, at which point the formulas become almost
trivial. However, by expanding on all these things, I would be completely
off-topic on this list ;-)

Benoit