> I'm coming late to this thread but I have to say that the misunderstanding
> present in the original post is huge. The author can take refuge in that he's
> made a common category mistake. MathML is a computer representation for math,
> TeX is a human input language.
>
> MathML was never intended to be typed by humans so it is no wonder that you
> find it a bad experience. TeX is a poor computer representation which is one
> reason why MathML was invented.
>
> It is reasonable to have a discussion of the relative merits of entering math
> by typing TeX vs point-and-click editing of math (ie, direct manipulation
> editing). I am biased toward the latter but I can understand the feelings of
> those whose hands know TeX really well.
> In short, both MathML and TeX have good reasons to exist and don't compete
> with each other in their primary categories.

I am also late in this thread, and I incline to this point and I see
the original author frustration as a valid discussion — not sure under
this one.

But I wanted to present another problem which is in a way of the same
nature (has also a degree of separation). It's the development of
tableless grids against HTML.

Consider the case, table A, which a developer can think of:

4 columns:
abcd
ebfd

To to this in HTML, the developer has to make a "container DIV" with 4
main column cells in it, think c1,c2,c3,c4. And which c1=rows a,e;
c2=row b; c3=rows cf; c4=row d;

It's easier to type something like the following:

4,abcdebfd

But this won't change the reality, the end product of this is:

/></div></div>

Which, can be , as many pointed: styled, channeled to accessibility
observers, manipulated, annotated — all of of that with a greater
level of compatibility as developers understand.

But then, right now, what we have are:

a) Toolkits using JS to do things like 4,abcdebfd [1]

  a.1) For example, http://labs.telasocial.com/grid-layout/

b) Specs do to similar things:

   b.1) http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-template/#grid-shorthand

The above example, which refers to grid rearrangement, is a different
things I know. But I think it has similar points to this discussion:
shorthands that applies to HTML elements (or other elements) are good
things to developers.