On 5/31/2013 12:32 AM, Mike Hommey wrote:
[...]
>> Option 1 is where I personally think it's worth investing effort. It
>> means we'd need to set up an atomic bidirectional bridge between hg and
>> git (which I'm told is doable, and there are even commercial solutions
>> for this out there that may solve this for us). Assuming we solve the
>> bridge problem one way or another, it would give us all the benefits
>> listed above, plus developer tool choice, and we could roll this out
>> incrementally w/o the need to change all of our infrastructure at once.
>> I.e. our roll out could look something like this:
>>
>> 1. create a read only, official mozilla-central git mirror
>> 2. add support for pushing to try with git and see the results in tbpl
>> 3. update tbpl to show git revisions in addition to hg revisions
>> 4. move to project branches, then inbound, then m-c, release branches, etc
>
> Another way to look at this would be to make the git repository the
> real central source, and keep the mercurial branches as clones of it,
> with hg-git (and hg-git supports pushing to git, too).
>
> This would likely make it easier to support pushing to both, although
> we'd need to ensure nobody pushes octopus merges in the git repo.

Yup, could be, and IMO the main point is that we'd have a lot of
flexibility here.

>> Option 2 is where this discussion started (in the Tuesday meeting a few
>> weeks ago,
>> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-05-07#Should_we_switch_from_hg_to_git.3F).
>> Since then I've had a number of conversations and have been convinced
>> that a wholesale change is the less attractive option. The cost of a
>> wholesale change will be *huge* on the infrastructure end, to a point
>> where we need to question whether the benefits are worth the cost. I
>> have also spoken with other large engineering orgs about git performance
>> limitations, one of which is doing the opposite switch, going from git
>> to hg.
>
> I bet this is facebook. Their usecase includes millions of changesets
> with millions of files (iirc, according to posts i've seen on the git
> list).

I've promised not to mention names here, so I won't confirm nor deny...
but the folks I've been talking to mostly have a repo that's a good bit
less than a single order of magnitude larger than m-c, so a couple of
hundred k files, not millions. And given the file count trend in m-c
(see attached image for an approximation), that doesn't make me feel too
good about a wholesale switch given the work involved in doing so.

--
jst