On 2013-06-25 6:07 PM, Kyle Huey wrote:
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:

On Monday 2013-06-24 18:50 -0700, Clint Talbert wrote:
So, the key things I want to know:
* Will you support code coverage? Would it be useful to your work to
have a regularly scheduled code coverage build & test run?
* Would you want to additionally consider using something like
JS-Lint for our codebase?

For what it's worth, I found the old code coverage data useful.  It
was useful to me to browse through it for code that I was
responsible for, to see:
  * what code was being executed during our test runs and how that
    matched with what I thought was being tested (it didn't always
    match, it turns out)
  * what areas might be in need of better tests
When I was looking at it, I was mostly focusing on the mochitests in
layout/style/test/.

(I worry I might have been one of a very small number of people
doing this, though.)

I think using code coverage tools separately on standards-compliance
test suites might also be interesting, e.g., to see what sort of
coverage the test suite for a particular specification gives us, and
whether there are tests we could contribute to improve it.

-David

I've also found decoder's code coverage data to be useful in checking what
is exercised by our test suite, what might be dead code (this works better
for finding counterexamples, of course), etc.  I suspect the audience would
be small without an effort to integrate it into our engineering processes
though.  I'd like to see reviewers insisting on reasonable coverage of all
new added code by the test suite.

I, too, did use the data that we used to have very useful in determining what I need to do in order to improve the code coverage in the areas that I was working on back then. I will definitely use it again if we start to collect this data.

Cheers,
Ehsan