On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 3:59 AM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2013-06-26 9:09 AM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>
>> If we think these use cases are (or ever will be) relevant, we need to
>> give
>> feedback even if we don't plan to implement them soon. We should at least
>> try to make sure these APIs are something we wouldn't feel bad about
>> implementing, and complain if they are.
>>

> I don't think that in practice we can expect other vendors to give us
> feedback on all proposed APIs, or that we give them feedback on their
> proposed APIs.

I agree, which is why the default for the no-feedback situation has to be
forward progress, not deadlock.

For whatever it's worth, Blink has made the decision to implement Web MIDI
> without receiving any feedback from us (and to the best of my knowledge
> from other vendors), and has also made the decision to ship
> requestAutocomplete hoping that Hixie will add it to the spec before it
> hits the Chrome release channel.  In the case of Web MIDI at least they
> have asked us to give feedback on a few occasions, but we've been unable to
> do so because of not having enough resources.  But it looks like they're
> also interested in making progress on the features that are only
> interesting to them while making an effort to solicit feedback from other
> engine vendors.

I think they've done the right thing here for Web MIDI. They've produced a
spec, invited feedback, and confirmed that at least we don't have
objections.

So, are you proposing that we should give feedback on all APIs even if
> they're not interesting to us?

I think we should try. So, we should try to have someone carve out some
time to review Web MIDI, at least to the point where we feel confident it
would make sense to implement.

> I'd be fine with that, but I don't think we can assume that it will be
> reciprocated.

That doesn't matter.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *