On 2013-07-30 1:44 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:

On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:

We have been working on implementing the Web Audio API for quite a while
now, and we've had an experimental implementation on Nightly and Aurora for
several cycles now.

We're getting close to a stage where we feel that we're ready to ship this
API by default.

What led you to feel comfortable with shipping? Is it based on interoperability
with some significant content and another UA? Is there a test suite?

We will probably be the first and only spec conformant implementation when we ship (the WebKit and Blink implementation does not conform to more recent spec changes.)

The reason that I feel comfortable shipping this is that we're getting close to the spec being considered stable, and I believe that we can just land any future fixes based on further spec changes after we ship.

There is still some implementation work to be finished,
and there are a few spec issues to be resolved, but we're relatively
confident that we can address all of these issues by the time we release
Firefox 25, therefore I would like to announce the intent to ship this API.

Ship means no longer behind a flag, right?

Yes, that's correct.

(Technically, it means flipping the default value of the flag to true. We will still preserve the flag as a disaster recovery tool.)

There is some risk involved from the spec level discussions which we're
currently having in that the discussions may not finish in a timely
manner. In that case, we will delay shipping this API until we reach a
resolution on the W3C Audio Working Group, and I will follow-up to the list.

I'm admittedly a little bit concerned - if we ship, it's a strong signals to
the W3C Web Audio WG we are happy with the API that is spec'ed as is (that may
be true - it might be the best that the group can do and it might very well be
a spec from which interoperable implementations can be created). My personal
opinion about the spec is that it could be improved (lots of stuff seemed
underspecified, etc. when I tried to read it a few months ago - but maybe it's
better now) - if it mostly works across at least 2 browsers, then I guess it's
time to ship.

I have previously indicated our intent to ship to the working group for Firefox 24, but that slipped. I need to update the working group on the new plans.

Shipping Web Audio doesn't mean that we're necessarily happy with all parts of the spec, but we're making trade-offs between having a good API that everybody agrees on, and shipping code which works with some of the existing content. We have heavily discussed these issues in the working group.

Cheers,
Ehsan