On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Brad Lassey <blas...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/13 9:30 AM, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
>
>> I've written up the review policy at [1] and filed bug 898089 [2] to
>>> enforce/communicate this policy via Mercurial hooks.
>>>

>> While I supported the review policy change here, I'm fairly strongly
>> opposed to the idea of the commit hook enforcing it.  I've commented on
>> the
>> bug.
>>
> + 1
> I also think a commit hook is a bit of overkill

I also agree that a commit hook seems like overkill.

I have found the build system team to be very responsive and helpful
regarding my more involved build system change review requests, so in
general I agree with the idea of the proposed policy given the current
state of things, though I think it is worded more strictly than necessary.
For example, it is OK to make something build conditionally based on a flag
when previously it was always built. Similarly, if I'm just adding a new
subdirectory of code or tests or whatever to an existing module, or
re-arranging the files across directories in a module, it is hardly worth
anybody's time to get a build system peer to review it; if even that is so
prone to being problematic, then that is a bug in the build system that
should be corrected.

I think there is something more important than publishing a policy that you
could do: publish the guidelines for modifying the build system. I.e.
document the things that you'd say in a code review so that if/when I ask
you for a review, we're not rehashing stuff you have told 1,000 people
1,000 times.

Cheers,
Brian