On 8/30/13 3:03 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:
Telemetry data suggests that these days the more common reason for
seeing mojibake is that there is an encoding declaration but it is
wrong.  My guess is that this arises from Linux distributions silently
changing their Apache defaults to send a charset parameter in
ContentType on the theory that it's good for security to send one even
if the person packaging Apache logically can have no clue of what the
value of the parameter should be for a specific deployment. (I think
we should not start second guessing encoding declarations.)

Is there a less error-prone default we can recommend to Linux distribution packagers? Maybe we can squelch the problem upstream instead of adding browser hacks. The number of web server and distro packagers we would need to reach out to is probably pretty small.

chris