Thus Spoke ishikawa:
> On (2013年09月10日 00:08), Scott Johnson wrote:
>> Thus Spoke ishikawa:
>>
>> So you are suggesting something like
>> step 1 - request for formatting a file indented in an arcane format, i.e.,
>> reformat it according to the currently adopted code.
Exactly what I meant, if by "request for formatting a file.." means
"create a bugzilla bug for this refactoring/restyling", mainly so that
we can trace it back if need be.
>> step 2 - then after the re-formating of the file is done,
>>    particular bug or something is fixed in the newly formatted code.
Yep, exactly.

Basically, what I'm getting at here is that we should separate
functional changes from purely stylistic changes.

>> I understand the merit of leaving the code as is since hg blame won't work
>> nicely with such file-wide format change as in step-1.
>> (Or maybe we can teach hg blame to ignore such change, etc. but maybe too
>> much work: the idea would be to mark formatting change with a particular
>> string [maybe tag name] and let hg blame  to ignore such tag to look for a
>> previous patch that touched each line. Hmm. Maybe too much work indeed)
It would be really nice if we could somehow teach hg blame to ignore
style changes, but I think that's probably a very involved task. ;)
>> OTOH, code in a strange indentation is hard to touch: during linux
>> development around 2.1.1xx, Alan Cox got tired of the spaghetti code of SCSI
>> driver subsystem and introduced a revision: that revision consisted only of
>>  sweeping reformatting of scsi subsystem files. No change except for
>> re-formatting.
>> It was felt the code could not be improved upon any more without such
>> re-formatting.
Yes, I guess I can agree with this sentiment. I would argue, though,
that refactoring (things that make the code clearer, but actually can
have an effect on the underlying code and how it runs) is different from
restyling (changing whitespace/indentation, or things that may change
the way the code looks, but not the underlying compiled code).

~Scott