On Sep 22, 2013, at 16:35, Anthony Jones <ajo...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 21/09/13 17:58, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> I don't think that's necessarily true on Windows. If we can find a way to
>> generate Visual Studio projects and use those to build, or do most of the
>> build, we can probably go a lot faster than using cl command-line
>> invocations compiling one file per invocation.
>
> It would be nice to see multiple files per cl invocation. That would
> likely be a significant win for Windows. The performance improvements
> are good for Linux but Windows build performance still lags many minutes
> behind the Linux.

Not sure what you mean here. If you use /MP to build multiple files with one
cl.exe, you lose out on /showIncludes and dependencies would be busted. If you
are talking about merging multiple files and compiling as one source file, that
can be done. I recently reviewed a patch to make WebIDL compile this way.

The main contributor to Windows being slower is pymake. Python is generally
slower than C. We are constantly finding ways to make pymake faster. This
sometimes involves optimizing pymake. This sometimes involves enhancing how
make is used. It's easy to favor the latter because it makes all platforms
better.