Being the "firefox person" who suggested that Thierry should discuss
this on dev-platform, let me chime in.

I seem to understand that Thierry's issue is partially related to the
fact that the UX of his site was designed with the assumption that if
Java didn't start, then Java either wasn't installed or wasn't installed
correctly. The site instantly fell back to the Java-less version, which
was basically instructions on how to install Java. We discussed
alternatives detection mechanisms with Thierry, so this part is probably
a solved problem, I believe.

If I recall, Thierry would have liked a way for his users to quickly
allow Java for the page.

Thierry, does the Page Information dialog do what you need? You can open
that dialog from the small icon on the left of the address bar.

Cheers,
 David

--
David Rajchenbach-Teller, PhD