On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM,  <cryo...@free.fr> wrote:
> Which leads to think that doing some blinded experiment (real people
> evaluating the images) to compare compressed images has still some value.

I think it would be worthwhile to do two experiments with real people
evaluating the images:
 1) For a given file size with artifacts visible, which format
produces the least terrible artifacts?
 2) Which format gives the smallest file size with a level of
artifacts that is so mild that people don't notice the artifacts?

My limited experience suggests that the ranking of the formats could
be different for those two different questions. Also, my understanding
is that the quality metric algorithms are foremost about answering
question #1 while question #2 is often more important for Web
designers.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi