On Nov 22, 2013, at 12:29 PM, Ted Mielczarek wrote:

> On 11/21/2013 4:56 PM, John O'Duinn wrote:
>> 6) If a developer lands a patch that works on 10.9, but it fails somehow
>> on 10.7 or 10.8, it is unlikely that we would back out the fix, and we
>> would instead tell users to upgrade to 10.9 anyways, for the security
> fixes.

> This seems to go against our historical policy. While it's true that we
> might not back a patch out for 10.7/10.8 failures (since we won't have
> automated test coverage), if they're still supported platforms then we
> would still look to fix the bug. That might require backing a patch out
> or landing a new fix. I don't think we need to over-rotate on this, this
> is no different than any of the myriad of regressions or bugs we have
> reported by users with software configurations different than what we're
> able to run tests on.
>
> I would instead simply say "10.7 and 10.8 will remain supported OSes,
> and bugs affecting only those platforms will be considered and
> prioritized as necessary". It sounds a little weasely when I write it
> that way, but I don't think we should WONTFIX bugs just because they're
> on a supported platform without test coverage, we'd simply treat them as
> we would any other bug a user reports: something we ought to fix,
> prioritized as is seen fit by developers.

I agree - we have not decided to mark 10.7 or 10.8 as tier 2 or otherwise less
supported. I don't mind assuming that 10.6/10.9 tests oughta catch most of the
problems, but if they miss one and we break 10.7/10.8, I'd expect us to find a
solution for that, or back out if the bustage is significant and not easily
fixable.

---
Johnathan Nightingale
VP Firefox