Good news everyone! I've prepared a helper script that will guide you through moving from the old to the new git mirror:
https://github.com/Nephyrin/moz-git-migrator

To run it:
wget https://raw.github.com/Nephyrin/moz-git-migrator/master/moz-git-migrator.sh
./moz-git-migrator.sh ./my-git-repo

The script won't modify your repo directly, but instead analyze it and tell you what needs to be done. It's a bit tricky, so if you run into any issues or cases it doesn't seem to handle properly, let me know!

- John