On Tuesday 2014-01-07 10:23 -0800, Bobby Holley wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Adam Roach <a...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
> > On 1/7/14 03:07, Jason Duell wrote:
> >
> >> Yes--if we jump to >80 chars per line, I won't be able to keep two
> >> columns open in my editor (vim, but emacs would be the same) on my laptop,
> >> which would suck.
> >>
> >> (Yes, my vision is not what it used to be--I'm using 10 point font. But
> >> that's not so huge.)
> >>

> > I'm not just sympathetic to this argument; I've made it myself in other
> > venues. Put me down as emphatically agreeing.
> >

> Me too. With the font size that works for me, I can do 2 side-by-side
> columns with 80 chars, but not 100.

Same for me, for my laptop display.

On my external monitors (office and home; different sizes), I can
fit two at 100, but only barely so for my external monitor at home,
and it might not stay that way the next time the available fonts
change or font rasterization changes and I have to reconfigure.

(The reality for me is that I don't use side-by-side much when
writing code, but I do when doing code reviews.)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.