On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 2014, at 8:18, Kyle Huey <m...@kylehuey.com> wrote:
>
>> If you needed another reason to follow the style guide:
>> https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/02/22/applebug.html
>>

> Code coverage would have caught this as well.
>
> The time investment into 100% line and branch coverage is debatable. But you
> can't argue that code coverage has its place, especially for high-importance
> code such as crypto.
>
> AFAIK, our automation currently does not collect code coverage from any test
> suite. Should that change?
>
> Possibly radical idea: patches are automatically audited to verify tests
> actually test the new/changed code. If not, a giant flag is raised and
> reviewers can act accordingly.

This doesn't even need code coverage analysis, -Wunreachable-code would do.

Code coverage is useful for seeing what code needs more tests written.
 I think we used the code coverage data that choller collected a year
or two ago to pinpoint some IndexedDB features that needed better
testing, although I can't find the relevant bugs now.  It's certainly
not a panacea though.  For one thing, just executing a line of code
doesn't mean a test will fail if that piece of code is broken.  I
would love to have that data available for identifying what needs more
focused testing effort though.

- Kyle