On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:
> How feasible is just doing .innerHTML to do that, then doing some sort of
> async parse (e.g. XHR or DOMParser) to get a DOM snapshot?

Seems more efficient to write the walk in C++, since the innerHTML
getter already includes the walk in C++. How important is it to avoid
C++?

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 10:45 PM, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan.akhg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's https://github.com/google/gumbo-parser which can be compiled to js.

The parser we use in Gecko can be compiled to JS using GWT. However,
the current glue code assumes the parser is running in the context of
a browser window object and a browser DOM. Writing the glue code that
assumes something else about the environment should be easy.

Also, David Flanagan has implemented the HTML parsing algorithm
(pre-<template>; not sure if updated since) directly in JS.

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Wesley Johnston <wjohns...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Android also ships a parser that we wrote for Reader mode:
>
> http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/mobile/android/chrome/content/JSDOMParser.js

It saddens me that we are using non-compliant ad hoc parsers when we
already have two spec-compliant (at least at some point in time) ones.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivo...@hsivonen.fi