Joshua Cranmer 🐧. writes:

> On 4/13/2014 4:42 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> Honestly, I think we're already pretty close to most of those
>> recommendations, most of the time.

Some experienced Mozillians are breaking up their large changes
well, but some are not.  And many less experienced contributors
are learning.

>> "More descriptive commit
>> messages" is the only recommendation there that is not commonly
>> followed, as far as I can see.
>
> I was thinking about it, and I'm not sure how useful this
> prescription is. Almost all of our commits require a bug number,
> and often the comments in the bug serve a better motivating factor
> for why changes need to be made rather than trying to distill
> discussion into a length commit comment. (This is coming from
> somebody who has often done deep archaeology to figure out "why
> the hell does this broken interface exist?")

Very often I've found that the intended approach changes during the
life of a bug, and there is no clear summary in the bug of what
eventually was done.  It is then necessary to go back through
multiple revisions of the patch and associated comments and
replies to find out the reasoning.  Add in the complexity of
multiple changes in one bug, and having a single summary in one
place would be very helpful, and is, when it is there.