On Monday 2014-05-19 07:25 -0700, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
> Do we still need Trace Malloc? I suspect it's barely used these days.
> For memory profiling, we have about:memory and DMD. For shutdown leak
> detection we have ASAN and Valgrind.
>
> Trace Malloc is documented here:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Debugging/Debugging_memory_leaks#Trace_Malloc
>
> Trace Malloc is enabled for all TBPL debug builds. I'm not sure why; I
> did a try run today where I disabled it and it was green.
>
> It's used to get stacks within the deadlock detector, but I'm not sure
> if that's necessary, and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to
> replace if it is necessary.

Are you talking about removing it from the debug builds done on our
infra, or removing it from the tree?  I think the former is fine;
I'd like to know more about the memory graph analysis abilities of
ASAN before being ok with the latter.

(It was enabled because we used to track shutdown leak metrics and
some other metrics, but when we switched to tracking
performance/memory metrics from graphs to tracking them via
regression notices, regression notices weren't added for those
measurements, so they just kept regressing without people noticing.
At some point we then stopped running them because nobody was
looking at them.  I wouldn't mind having that metric tracked again
in some way because it does catch some real leak regressions in
addition to shutdown leaks.)

> There's also Leaky, which is documented on the abovementioned wiki
> page. I think it works in tandem with Trace Malloc, and may be a
> candidate for removal as well.

I don't think leaky is in the tree anymore.  (It was once in
tools/leaky/.)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,