On Monday 2014-05-19 20:09 -0700, Nicholas Nethercote wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM, L. David Baron <dba...@dbaron.org> wrote:
> > Another is being able to find the root strongly connected components
> > of the memory graph, which is useful for finding leaks in other
> > systems (e.g., leaks of trees of GTK widget objects) that aren't
> > hooked up to cycle collection.  It's occasionally even a faster way
> > of debugging non-CC but nsTraceRefcnt-logged reference counted
> > objects.
>
> How does trace-malloc do that? It sounds like it would need to know
> about object and struct layout.

Roughly the same way a conservative collector would -- assuming any
word-aligned memory in one object in the heap that contains
something that's the address of something else in the heap
(including in the interior of the allocation) is a pointer to that
object in the heap.

(It's actually done in the leaksoup tool outside of trace-malloc.)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,
             And to whom I was like to give offense.