On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 9:24 AM, Martin Thomson <m...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 2014-06-02, at 08:53, Rik Cabanier <caban...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > it conveys that this is a 2d matrix and that you can ignore the 3d
> components.
>
> Maybe you misunderstood what I was implying.  You are describing an
> intended application of the matrix to 2d or 3d graphics.  The problem is
> that the is2D() method is applicable to what appears to be a generic
> object.  That object has a name “DOMMatrix” which implies a general
> capability that isn’t present.
>
> However, when someone says matrix [1], I think matrix.  My understanding
> of matrices extends beyond 4x4 and 2x3.  It’s understandable perhaps that
> the matrix object is 2-dimensional only, because that is highly useful for
> the application you have in mind, and a lot more besides.

The DOM can only represent 2x3 and 4x4 matrices. If there comes a day that
it goes higher, we will extend the DOMMatrix class.

> I think that a lot of this sort of confusion would be remedied by having a
> different name, in both cases.  CSSMatrix is heaps better (but there I
> might be demonstrating ignorance of “CSS”), and is2x3() would also help.

We went over CSSMatrix before, but the object is available outside CSS as
well. (Canvas 2D and SVG)
In addition, we have DOMPoint and DOMQuad that are part of the same spec
and already landed in Firefox.