Hi Dave,

There exists a template [1] for this kind of email. Using it makes it
much easier to be sure the important questions are addressed. You're
missing the answers to all questions except the bug number. (That bug,
I should note, will need to live in a Core::DOM component if it's
going to have DOM changes. Firefox OS::General is not the correct
product for changes to Gecko.)

On 07/17/2014 03:08 AM, Dave Hylands wrote:
> Currently, we have navigator.getDeviceStorage and
> navigator.getDeviceStorages
>
> We're looking to expand device storage to add support for more
> virtual storage areas, like DropBox, or GoogleDrive, etc. See bug
> 1035053
>
> I was going to propose that we add navigator.deviceStorage (or
> possibly navigator.mozDeviceStorage) and have at least the
> following methods:
>
> deviceStorage.addObserver deviceStorage.removeObserver
> deviceStorage.getAll deviceStorage.getDefault
>
> We need some new notifications, one to report when the default
> volume has changed (on B2G it is controlled by a setting which then
> gets reflected into a preference), one to report when a new storage
> area (like DropBox) is added, and one to report when it goes away.
> Presumably we'd also need additional APIs to actually add/remove
> storage areas.
>
> deviceStorage.getAll would return exactly what
> navigator.getDeviceStorages returns today, and
> deviceStorage.getDefault would return exactly what
> navigator.getDevicetorages returns today.

There's a typo somewhere here.

> I think that we probably need to leave getDeviceStorage and
> getDeviceStorages both around for the time being in order to
> maintain backwards capability.
>
> So I guess I'd like to determine if the approach I've outlined is
> reasonable, and I'd like to get an opinion on whether we should
> use deviceStorage or mozDeviceStorage.

The policy [2] is crystal-clear: we don't add moz prefixes, period.

HTH
Ms2ger

[1] https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/ExposureGuidelines#Intent_to_Implement
[2] https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI/ExposureGuidelines#Guiding_Principles