On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Jonathan Kew <jfkth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Possible in theory, I guess; unlikely in practice. The compression
> algorithm used in WOFF2 is extremely asymmetrical, offering fast decoding
> but at the cost of slow encoding. The intent is that a large library like
> Google Fonts can pre-compress their fonts offline, and then benefit from
> serving smaller files; it's not expected to be suitable for on-the-fly
> compression.

accelerators like cloudflare and mod_pagespeed/mod_proxy exist to do this
kind of general thing as reverse proxies for specific origins.. they can
cache the transcoding locally. Obviously that's a lot harder for forward
proxies to do. Reverse proxies are often the termination of https:// as
well - so this transformation remains relevant in the https world we want.