On Wed, Oct 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Robert Kaiser <ka...@kairo.at> wrote:
> Jonathan Kew schrieb:
>>
>> But the model for webfonts is explicitly *not* to have a single URL that
>> may be delivered in any of several formats, but rather to offer several
>> distinct resources with different URLs, and let the browser decide which
>> of them to request.
>>
>> So the "negotiation" is handled within the browser
>

> Right. And if I remember correctly, we also just invented the <picture>
> element for HTML5 to do the same for images as it's actually *better* in
> many regards to the dilemma we have with all the Accept: negotiation. Or am
> I wrong there?

Sometimes client side negotiation is the better solution, sometimes
server side is.

It can be a pain in the ass to try to get your hosting provider to
install modules that handles content negotiation based on accept. Or
to switch service provider to one that lets you run server side
script. Or learn your server infrastructure to figure out how to add
negotiation. In those cases it's great that developers can handle it
on the client.

But there are also cases when it's a pain to figure out the client
side code to modify it to pass through the right parameters to do
negotiation on the client. Or to ask all your customers to rewrite
their apps to handle content negotiation. Or find all the places where
your referring to a given resource and replace it with logic to do
client side negotiation. In those cases it's good if the server has
access to all the information needed to serve the most appropriate
resource.

When we design the platform such that we require people to use a
particular solution we better be really sure that that solution will
work in all the (common) situations that people need the problem
solved. When we get it wrong, which so far happens a lot, people end
up with horrible workarounds, buggy apps, slower productivity and more
resource usage. In short, with a worse user experience.

We far too often close our eyes to the realities of web development in
an effort to keep the platform simple. However simple doesn't always
mean fewer features. When developers have to work around the lack of
features that doesn't make their jobs simpler.

That said, adding all the features isn't always the answer either of course.

/ Jonas