----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jonas Sicking" <jo...@sicking.cc>
> To: "Mike Hommey" <m...@glandium.org>

I'm certain it is though I think it would be a good thing to question to what
extent as well as where we should focus our resources. Except for the stub
installer download we do know that it can't be more than 10% of installation
attempts that have enough of an internet connection to provide data (e.g. if
they can download the stub installer I suspect that they can send the data
points back). I also know from analyzing the stub installer data that the vast
majority of that 10% are cancelled installations and that if you break those
down to 5 minute increments the vast majority are in the first 5 minutes. I
believe the same is true if broken down in 1 minute increments though I'd
prefer to verify this first. My system for analyzing the data is currently out
of commission or I'd verify it now.

> Smaller download size is always going to be an advantage. Nothing
> magical happens at the point when you pass your competitors size.
>
> For example, for a user that already has Chrome but is curious to test
> Firefox, the download size of Chrome is effectively 0 bytes.
>
> And for a user that is determined to switch browser but is considering
> both Chrome and Firefox, if they try firefox first but they give up
> because the download is taking too long, at the point once they decide
> to try Chrome instead but realize that Chrome is going to take just as
> long to download, there's a risk that they'll stick with chrome
> because they are now already at the Chrome website.
>
> Or for a user that already has IE but would like to switch to Chrome
> or Firefox, but realize that both are too big downloads, might just
> give up and stick with IE.
This is one of the reasons we moved to the stub installer so they can quickly
perform the download quickly and then initiate the download / installation
quickly.

> Any time that a user starts downloading Firefox, but gives up because
> the download is taking too long, is an opportunity where a smaller
> download could have helped.
Not denying it but we do report this info in the stub installer and performed A
/ B testing where B was 3 MB larger and conversion rate was not significantly
affected.

> So I don't think we should focus too much on competitors download
> size. We should instead focus on our own funnel.
Agreed and as I said, "We should always strive to do the best that we possibly
can and focus our efforts on the areas with the greatest impact."

Robert