On 10/15/14, 3:40 AM, glazou wrote:
Guys, you understand there is an ecosystem - even if it is a small one - of
companies relying on XUL for their businesses?

Yes, including Mozilla, via Firefox.

1. does Mozilla still care about us?

I can't answer this question. On a personal level, I care about you, but not enough to leave XUL in the tree if you're the only remaining consumer. Which you're not.

2. since it's out of question to rebuild something as big as the UI of
BlueGriffon or Postbox in html (and that will imply rewriting most of the js
around) for the time being, what do you suggest?

The Firefox UI has the same issue. The only viable plan I can think of for either case is to move the UI to HTML piecemeal (e.g. move the preferences dialog into HTML, etc) until the remaining work is small enough to be done in a flag day.

I'm not saying this is an easy project, or high priority at the moment, so it's not likely to happen anytime soon, but I believe it _is_ desirable and should be the end goal. At least for Firefox and Gecko.

Whether this happens before Gecko is perhaps replaced by Servo or something is anyone's guess. Servo doesn't support XUL and has no plans to, of course.

I would like to have a response from - or some direct interaction with - Chris
Beard please.

This is probably the wrong forum for that; I doubt he reads this newsgroup.

Long-time partners heavily relying on XUL deserve a bit more than the current
ultralight information we have.

There isn't any more information to be had. On the technical level, we would like to get rid of the complexity XUL support introduces to the rendering engine. There are no _concrete_ plans or timescales for doing that, it would be blocked on a whole bunch of other changes at the very least to Firefox desktop builds, and it's not clear when or whether it will actually happen.

-Boris